Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Mixed Media Paintings

Hello creative people!  I've been following Mimi Bondi, https://mimibondi.com, on her website and You Tube. I love how she works with color!  I bought her book "No Shenanigans!" and it is filled with glorious eye candy and really detailed instructions. If you're a beginner in mixed media or someone with experience that just wants to try some very specific techniques, I highly recommend her book. She also has a video class available.

Here's a picture of one of the lessons I completed. I added some of my own "touches", which she recommends, so it didn't look exactly like hers.

Below is another painting I've started.  Its on a 16 x 20" canvas which is a stretch for me!  I started with some of the Tim Holtz picture strips of the found relatives, the ones that come in a strip of 3.  I cut them apart and glued them randomly around the canvas.  I added paint in red, pink, turquoise with a little lime green.  I added some bubble-like stenciling with heavy gel and dried it with a heat gun causing it to bubble up even more.  I carved a new rubber stamp, a sort of wavy spiral and stamped it in black and gold randomly around the page, being sure to go off the edges of the canvas at times.   Then stencilled some birds from Dyan Reaveley's bird stencil in black archival or stazon ink and used another stencil with white modeling paste.  I also used a tree stencil with Stazon red ink in each corner.  This one isn't finished yet, but its on a break until I am duly inspired for what it needs next!


1 comment:

  1. Lauren i am so very impressed with your talent and the color scheme. might be inspired some day to try this.

    ReplyDelete